The More the Moringa, The Better
WRITTEN BY MILICA STOJSAVLJEVICK AND DR. SWATHI
Our products have a vast range of clean, plant-derived ingredients. In particular, moringa is found in our luxurious orange-hued facial serum, Belle Visage.
What is moringa?
Lately, there has been a lot of talk about this “miracle tree”, so let’s start with a little bit of background. Moringa oleifera is a drought-resistant tree most commonly found in India, but also grows in Asia, Africa, and South America. This tree can grow quickly even in poor soil, and once established, it does not need much care aside from lots of sunlight. It is packed with protein, vitamins, and other nutrients (1); for this reason, it has been widely used to treat malnutrition in developing countries. With “more vitamin C than an orange, more vitamin A than a carrot, more calcium than milk, and more potassium than a banana” (2), this superfood brings a whole new take on fighting hunger. The Hunger Project has a moringa nutrition program where they have nurseries for moringa trees, as well as education for the native people on how moringa can be used in cooking and their daily lives (3). Not only does it have nutritional properties, but moringa is also an anti-microbial which can be used to purify water (4).
What benefits does moringa have for the skin?
For topical purposes moringa can be processed into an oil, and then added to products like serums and creams. As mentioned, moringa is packed with vitamins, such as vitamin A, B, C and E, and many valuable minerals. Vitamin A is known to help build collagen and is where retinol comes from, which is known for its regenerative properties (5,6). Our skin cells rapidly renew, which helps tighten our pores, reduce fine lines, limit breakouts and decrease the severity of dark spots (6). Vitamin C aids in fighting the signs of aging and reduces the look of dark spots. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps with inflammation and attracts moisture, which makes it an incredible asset for glowing, supple skin (5), so say goodbye to those winter dry flakes! The antioxidant properties also prevent skin damage from free radicals6, which is what leads to wrinkles and let’s be real, who wants those?
Can moringa help with acne?
Even more great news—for all of my friends battling acne, moringa’s antimicrobial and water purification properties could help fight your acne too (5). Harmful bacteria on our skin are what cause pimple inflammation (6), so we want to prevent these bacteria from making a mess of our skin.
Now knowing all of this, we could not be more excited for you to try our best-selling facial serum and see the incredible benefits for yourself!
- Cadman, B. What Makes Moringa Good For You? Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319916. Published January 2, 2020. Accessed March 28, 2021.
- Patterson, S. About Moringa Trees, Moringa Tree Care and Growing. Gardening Know How. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/moringa/about-moringa-trees.htm. Updated January 26, 2021. Accessed March 28, 2021.
- A Miracle Tree Combats Malnutrition. The Hunger Project. https://thp.org/news/miracle-tree-combats-malnutrition-africa/. Published February 3, 2015. Accessed March 28, 2021.
- Stolarz, S. Could a ‘miracle tree’ help end malnutrition in Zambia? BBC News. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-30504720. Published April 17, 2015. Accessed March 28, 2021.
- 3 Amazing Benefits of Moringa For Your Skin! PharmEasy. https://pharmeasy.in/blog/benefits-of-moringa-for-skin/. Published April 2020. Accessed April 1, 2021.
- Elle Beauty Team. 4 Reasons Why You Should Be Putting Moringa On Your Face (And Everywhere Else) ASAP. Elle. https://www.elle.com/uk/beauty/body-and-physical-health/a40995/moringa-benefits-skin-hair-body-supplement/. Published September 22, 2020. Accessed April 1, 2021.
This article was edited by Dr. Swathi and was written by Element Apothec Scientific Communications Intern, Milica Stojsavljevic. She is a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) student at Concordia University Wisconsin School of Pharmacy in Mequon, Wisconsin.