5 Benefits of CBD in Skincare
WRITTEN BY JESSIE PHIPPS AND DR. SWATHI
CBD, or cannabidiol, can be an effective, natural solution to many of the most common skincare problems, from acne to wrinkles to dry skin. CBD can be an excellent addition to your existing daily regimen and skincare products. Read on to learn about 5 benefits of CBD-infused skincare—and how to use CBD oil safely and effectively in your daily routine.
1) A natural anti-inflammatory
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, CBD could be used as a topical application to alleviate minor skin irritation and redness. It may help to soothe and calm sunburn, insect bites, scrapes, and rashes. This is especially useful if you have sensitive or easily irritated skin. Using CBD topically may also be helpful in relieving other inflammatory conditions like eczema and rosacea.
2) Supports skin hydration
Cannabidiol has been shown to help soothe dry and flaky skin, while also helping those who suffer from inflammatory conditions like psoriasis or eczema. CBD could play a role in balancing out an overactive immune system, which could cause these issues. If you have dry skin, putting some CBD-infused lotion on your hands and massaging it into your skin may help reduce any inflammation and redness. One study found that applying a topical ointment rich in CBD could be a safe way to manage psoriasis symptoms. For those who suffer from dry skin or other inflammatory conditions, a topical blend high in CBD could be just what you need!
3) Smooths skin texture
Scientific studies have shown that cannabidiol can help improve skin’s elasticity and smoothness to, for example, lessen redness or swelling caused by rosacea. Additionally, the acids and nutrients in CBD oil help restore skin health by removing dead skin cells, strengthening skin tissue, and promoting new cell growth.
4) Helps with acne and breakouts
Because so many popular acne treatments contain harsh chemicals, there are plenty of instances where users experience common side effects like dryness, redness, and skin irritation. CBD products are often free from irritants, meaning they avoid these unwanted effects. A potential benefit from using CBD oil is that it could help reduce acne and it has been shown to reduce sebum production, thereby reducing clogged pores and rashes. Simply put, using CBD oil could leave your skin less oily and more balanced.
5) Promotes collagen productionOur skin is made up of two main layers: epidermis and dermis. The dermis contains collagen, which keeps our skin firm and resilient. Collagen production decreases with age, leading to that telltale sign that we’re getting older, wrinkles or fine lines. So, by using a CBD product that encourages healthy collagen production, you could have more resilient skin for a more resilient you.
1. Palmieri B, Laurino C, Vadalà M. A therapeutic effect of cbd-enriched ointment in inflammatory skin diseases and cutaneous scars. Clin Ter. 2019;170(2):e93-e99.
2. Oláh A, Tóth BI, Borbíró I, et al. Cannabidiol exerts sebostatic and antiinflammatory effects on human sebocytes. J Clin Invest. 2014;124(9):3713-3724.
3. Nagarkatti P, Pandey R, Rieder SA, Hegde VL, Nagarkatti M. Cannabinoids as novel anti-inflammatory drugs. Future Med Chem. 2009;1(7):1333-1349.
4. Baswan SM, Klosner AE, Glynn K, et al. Therapeutic Potential of Cannabidiol (CBD) for Skin Health and Disorders. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2020;13:927-942.
This article was edited by Dr. Swathi and was written by Element Apothec Scientific Communications Intern, Jessie Phipps. She is a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) student at Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy in Davie, Florida.