Element Apothec How To: Self Love
WRITTEN BY TESSIE TRACEY
Often times the word self love can bring up a lot of different emotions. Maybe it’s uncomfortable to dive into the things you love about yourself, maybe it feels cliche, or possibly it feels like you don’t know where to start. Practicing self love is just that, a practice. It can be as simple as saying something positive to yourself in the morning or as complex as a daily ritual that you practice. Here are a few ideas if you don’t know where to start:
- Grab your journal and write about the areas that you can show yourself love. Maybe that’s by saying something kind to yourself, writing out a few things that you’re proud of from the day, or journaling your accomplishments. You may surprise yourself by what comes out when you put pen to paper.
- Schedule one hour to show yourself some love. That could mean taking a bath, doing a luxurious skincare routine (shoutout Element Apothec face serum), going on a long walk, or watching a guilty pleasure tv show. The important part of this one is to schedule this time like you would a meeting, don’t cancel, and give yourself an hour to do something that brings you joy.
- Let someone know that you’re thinking of them. Sometimes when we think of self love we think it has to only include ourselves, but we can find so much joy from showing up for other people, don’t count out being kind to others and showing them some love, you might just feel some too.
- Write out I AM statements and put them on your mirror. It may sound cheesy but writing out “I am beautiful”, “I am confident”, “I love my smile”, and seeing that every time you go to brush your teeth can have a lasting impact.
- Do something that brings you joy, just for you. Leave your phone at home and enjoy your own company. Maybe journal how you felt afterwards.
Hopefully a few of these tips can bring you some ease as you embark on your self love journey.